Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The results of the new foods

Squash Blossoms: They are incredible. The flavor is best described as delicately zucchini-like. Since they are flowers, they have a nice, thin texture that really works well fried. I looked up a lot a recipes and tried to figure out the easiest way to deal with them and get a good concept of their taste. This is what I did:

9 whole squash blossoms, rinsed and patted dry
corn starch for dredging
1/2 cup olive oil
salt
garlic powder

I dredged the blossoms in the corn starch and just pan fried them until they got a light golden brown (and crisped up). I sprinkled a little salt and later a tiny bit of garlic powder. THEY WERE AWESOME!!!! Why can't I eat these forever? Seriously, why?!?!

DRAGON FRUIT: Ummmmm, yeah it doesn't taste like anything. It's beautiful and had the texture of a soft kiwi but it really just didn't taste like anything. It didn't even really smell like anything.

TOFU: I made fried tofu (with a cornstarch coating) and dipped them in a hoisin/soy sauce. Pretty good :) Not my new favorite food ever but pretty good.

Cactus Pears are yet to come.... Also to come, pictures!

2 comments:

  1. Good to know about dragonfruit. It's really expensive here (i accidentally got charged for it when buying kiwis, huge difference). Eric's more of a fruit person than I am so I like to get him new and exciting fruits but this one sounds like it's not worth the money for us.

    Squash blossoms sound tasty and easy, though, so if I ever see them I'll have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah the dragonfruit is really really not worth it. At least not the kind I got. There are fabulous ones out there I am sure, but that's not what I got! Haha. I read that they are bland but I wasn't expecting totally tasteless.

    The way I made the squash blossoms would be good as a kind of side dish to a light meal. Maybe on the side of a big salad or something? There are a lot of recipes for squash blossom soup out there that are more involved than frying them but they sound really good. I also have a recipe from Frida Kahlo's house for squash blossom enchiladas (or something like that). If I see more at the farmer's market on Sat. I am so going to get more :)

    ReplyDelete