2 Tbs vegetable oil
1/2 to 1 tsp crushed red pepper
3 baby eggplants or about 1/2 a big one, cubed into bite-sized chunks
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium bell pepper, diced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 Tbs rice vinegar
3 Tbs soy sauce
2 Tbs dark brown sugar
20 leaves fresh basil, shredded or torn
1. Heat large skillet or wok on med-high. Add oil and crushed pepper and let sizzle 10 to 15 seconds.
2. Add eggplant and stir-fry 2 or 3 minutes.
3. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic and stir-fry 3 more minutes.
4. Add vinegar and soy sauce and sprinkle with sugar. Toss for 1 or 2 minutes until liquid thickens slightly.
5. Remove pan from heat and add basil. Toss to combine and serve over rice.
The red pepper flakes make it pretty spicy, so cut down or leave them out if you're not into that. Also, you might want to hold your breath when you first throw them in--they always make me cough.
You can also cheat and use dried basil--I don't measure, I just sprinkle a generous amount and it seems to work.