Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Crostinis

I made (bought) crostinis and made super easy toppings that turned out really fun and light for summer. It was like an Italian version of do-it-yourself tacos.

Our toppings were:

First I did a basic tomato deal, kinda like Taryn's bruschetta recipe. I diced a roma tomato and a handful of grape tomatoes, threw in some julienned sun dried tomatoes and basil and balsamic vinegar. Next time I'd use a tad less vinegar, but it turned out sweet and fresh tasting.

Second, I chopped a medium-small can of black olives and four or five green olives, mixed in a little pesto (store bought, left over from another recipe), and sliced some mozzarella to go under it. Kind of a poor man's olive tapenade. People into capers might use those instead of green olives, I bet that would be interesting.

Third, we had artichoke dill spread. I was originally going to make this recipe, but Sunflower Market had a dill dip just like it but better, so I chopped my artichokes fine and mixed them with the dill dip. It turned out well and the kids loved it.


I thought about doing a mushroom topping, too, but I didn't feel like actually cooking.
Obviously, these barely qualify as recipes, but that's kinda why I liked them. If anyone else has super easy topping ideas or funsies dinner ideas, I think they'd be great for summer "cooking."

No comments:

Post a Comment