Monday, November 14, 2011

Salmon & Texas Caviar

First of all, the salmon was my addition. I bought some and thought it would go well with this recipe, so I did so! The 'caviar' is supposed to be served with tortilla chips, salsa style.
I made two versions of the caviar- a Cherilyn safe version, and a Dena version. The Cherilyn version is as the recipe came, except I substituted powered garlic due to her allergy. My version had the addition of an habanero pepper and I used roasted minced garlic.

Salmon:
I use my Asian stir fry oil for fish, as I have learned the sesame/peanut/olive oil blend does better at the hotter temps used in pan frying or grilling than olive oil does. I've actually been told not to try to use EEOO for frying, as it breaks down too easily.

Thus my salmon fillet was pan friend with my stir fry oil and grated lemon peel, thyme, and a bit of rosemary. Once one side was browned, I flipped it and browned the other side. This allowed me to easily peal the skin off and serve it in a more diner friendly manner.

I flaked the salmon and served it alongside the caviar and chips.

Texas Caviar (according to the back of the Market Pantry bag of black eyed peas)

1/2lb black eyed peas, soaked, rinsed and drained
1/2 C Italian salad dressing (I used Fat Free Zesty Italian)
2 Tomatoes, diced
1/2 C bell pepper, diced (I used an orange one, great color)
1/2 C diced onion (I used white to try to minimize it for Cherilyn)
2-3 jalapeƱos, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt to taste
tortilla chips

Combine all ingredients except tortilla chips, refrigerate until chilled. Serve with tortilla chips.

Note to reduce negative side effects of bean consumption:
1) Do the full 6-8 hour soak and change the water mid-soak, rinsing the beans when you swap the water.
2) Add a small amount of vinegar tot he soak water.
3) Rinse the beans thoroughly after the final soak.
It may not prevent the problem all together, but it should prevent the malodorous aspect of it!

4 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing. Maybe have to wait until summer to do it - it sounds like a perfect dish for warm weather.

    I've never used black-eyed peas before. I guess canned wouldn't work? They have to be raw?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Texas caviar reminds me of the vinaigrette salsa salad we make (first post on the blog, and originally called picnic caviar). We always just eat it with tortilla chips in the summer--I never thought of serving that kind of thing with fish. Now I just have to learn to grill my salmon without ruining it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brother- I don't think canned would work. The bag was pretty clear about keeping the beans raw. I actually spent some time thinking about cooking them or not. I eventually came down on 1) The bag was clear about not cooking, so I wouldn't & 2) I think you really need the crisp crunch of the raw beans.

    Lemon- If you can stand the idea of the skin, it is easier to learn to grill salmon with the skin on since you can burn it w/o any problem to the actual fish. If you can't (which, as a veggie, I would totally understand), use foil! Also, if you are still struggling when we eventually meet, I can help! I LOVE grilling fish! I'm not much of a red meat eater, just don't like it much, but I love fish! I was very excited to see Zaboo's grill when I moved! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Also, if you are a spice loving Walley, the Salmon served as a good way to put the fire out of the spicier version. I think it might be because Salmon is a fattier fish (but the good kind of fat).

    ReplyDelete