Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving Cheese

So we had an excellent Thanksgiving feast, with Glynne's pork ragout, Eric's fabulous family rolls, a nice green salad, green and black olives (we have pictures of olive fingers as soon as we get them on the computer), yam and apple casserole (another Eric favorite), and some lovely cheese and crackers.

Someday Eric will post roll pictures and recipe, but this time they turned out super fluffy and therefore less crescent-y than usual so he feels this batch isn't good enough for pictures. Meh.

So I really wanted to mention the cheese. We had Masdaam smoked gouda and Beehive cajun cheddar, which I'm pretty sure I've written about before. Our third cheese was Carr Valley crema kasa--I picked it up the night before Thanksgiving to round out our cheese plate (leaving Eric to continue my online scrabble with mom--she destroyed us! *sigh*). I'm pretty sure it's this but ours had bright blue wax that really impressed the kids. This was really good eatin' cheese--if you've ever had butterkase it's like that but creamier. If you've never had butterkase, itls like a cross between creamy havarti and edam. Great for munching with crackers.

5 comments:

  1. Wait - did I miss something? Are you no longer a vegetarian?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I mentioned it a few weeks ago in my salmon post, I think. I just felt like I was doing it out of habit rather than conviction, so I stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh...i guess i did miss it! welcome back to the wonderful world of MEAT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed that too!! Ahh! Well, welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad the pork ragout worked out. Coincidentally, our Thanksgiving meat was done up with help from you - I cooked the turkey with the Bicentennial mix that came in the set of spices you gave us a while back. Tasty!

    ReplyDelete