Friday, December 9, 2011

Creamy Coleslaw

Creamy Coleslaw


This is a Better Homes and Gardens recipe from a book called Good Food on a Budget that was published in 1971, and it was my standard go-to recipe for coleslaw as you kids were growing up.  I wrote in my cookbook that it was "a family favorite."  Glynne said that he was looking for a good coleslaw recipe so I'm hoping this will be one that he remembers.

3 cups shredded cabbage
*** This recipe doesn't call for carrots but I know that I put them in.  I probably put 1/3 to 2/3 as much shredded carrot as shredded cabbage.  You will have to adjust the ingredient amounts to suite your taste, using a bit more dressing if needed.
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup salad dressing (I always used Miracle Whip) or mayonnaise
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon vinegar (I always use Apple Cider Vinegar)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon celery seed (It really makes a difference)
1 small green pepper, cut in rings (optional) (I never used this garnish but you might want to)

Combine cabbage and onion.  Blend salad dressing, sugar, vinegar, and celery seed.  Pour over vegetables and toss.  Top with green pepper.  Makes 6 servings.   

No comments:

Post a Comment