Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Chanterelle bruschetta

So I tried out the chanterelle bruschetta recipe that Lemon Verbena-san pointed me to. Here's the link, in link format. I'll go ahead and run it down here, with apologies to Nami Nami from Estonia, because this place has already become my go-to recipe box.

Ingredients:
Chanterelle mushrooms, the more the better (I used golden chanterelles; I see white ones at the market, but I haven't tried them yet)
1 red onion
garlic (I used the minced garlic you get in a jar, maybe a couple of teaspoons)
butter
olive oil
fresh dill (how much? the original recipe doesn't say; I used maybe a half cup, loosely packed, and I think I'll use maybe twice that next time)
good bread (I used a potato rustica, and it was a good choice, if I do say so myself: the potato-flour was a perfect match for the chanterelles and the dill)

1. Cut up the mushrooms into bite-size pieces.

2. Chop the onion. I chopped it in the food processor, thinking the finer the better, but it came out too fine and sort of turned into a glop when I put it in to sautee it. It was still awesome, but I think I should have chopped it by hand, and just tried to get it as small as I could that way.

3. Chop the dill. I also found that the dill tended to clump together when sauteeing, and maybe dried dill wouldn't have done that, but the flavor of the fresh dill was so good that I'd hesitate to substitute. Maybe chop finer?

4. Melt a little butter in a frying pan with a little olive oil (possibly the clumping of the onion and dill came from too much butter and oil: try it with just a little).

5. Sautee the mushrooms with the garlic, then add the onion and dill in that order.

6. Toast the bread in the oven as per normal bruschetta (the original recipe asks you to pan-fry it in butter, which sounded like just too much butter for me). I.e., brush one side with olive oil, put the bread oil side down on a foil-lined baking sheet, bake at 350 until it gets nice and toasty.

7. Spoon on the mushroom mixture, grind a little salt over everything, and you're done.

As you can tell, I did a lot of things wrong when I made it, but it still came out amazingly good. This shows off the true flavor of a chanterelle.

We paired the bruschetta with steamed asparagus topped with shavings of aged gouda. Yummy.

3 comments:

  1. Cool! This looked super good but with vacation coming up (which means using up stuff in our fridge) I couldn't fit it in this week. But when we get back this will definitely be on the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tried this and it turned out pretty good. I forgot to buy cheese for it, which is a shame because I think that would have been really good.
    I avoided the food processor and chopped the onion by hand, which seemed to work pretty well, but I think next time I would saute the onions before the mushrooms so they could brown up a bit and develop more flavor.

    ReplyDelete