Monday, September 27, 2010

Chanterelles

Speaking of mushrooms, we've got chanterelles in season here, big golden things. I made a sort of scrambly omelet with them tonight: sauteed the chopped chanterelles in butter and pepper, then cooked them in eggs with sour cream. Real good. I can't wait to get more of these beauties, but I realized that beyond omelets I really don't know what to do with them. I seem to remember trying a couple of things last fall, but I don't remember what worked besides the eggs. With most mushrooms I tend to like just sauteeing them with salt and pepper, but people say chanterelles need a little more work to bring out their best flavor. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. I have not tried these ideas yet but I think I will:
    http://nami-nami.blogspot.com/2010/07/chantarelle-bruschetta.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like oyster mushrooms and I know that chanterelles aren't the same but I really like to sautee in butter with some salt and pepper (maybe a tiny bit of cayenne) and a touch of white wine. The wine brings out some nice mushroom flavors with oyster mushrooms so maybe it'll work for chanterelles? I then toss it with some pasta (usually spaghetti or linguini). Keep us posted on the chanterelles!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That chanterelle bruschetta looks like it's to die for. That's definitely going to be the next thing I try.

    I'll have to try the pasta, too. I'm so fond of red sauce and pesto that I never have gotten around to making just pasta with straight sauteed shrooms like that, but it just might be the thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I do a lot of pasta + sauteed stuff in lieu of red sauce. I dunno, I like red sauce and all but I much prefer it the next day when it's cold/re-heated. I'm weird, I know. So it required too much premeditation for me to make tomorrow's dinner today :)

    Pasta and mushrooms is totally one of my favorite things to make when I really feel like I need a real dinner but don't want to put in too much effort. Lazy gourmet?

    ReplyDelete