Sunday, January 23, 2011

fresh chickpeas


Hello, all! My goal for 2011 is to stop eating total crap all the time and watch my diet. In conjunction with exercise, I am hoping this will help me get my butt in shape. Anyway, I went to my local awesome-tastic Asian grocery to take advantage of their preposterous amount of produce and saw these: FRESH CHICKPEAS
Not knowing what I was going to do with them but knowing it would be an adventure, I bought some :) The internets told me that you can treat them like edamame but nowhere was I reading that you should steam them. So I did two things:
1/2 the batch got sauteed in olive oil until slightly charred (pods on!) and then salted. They were very delicious and like fresh, nutty-veggie tasting edamame with oil
1/2 the batch got baked on 400 degrees for about 20 min with a little drizzle of olive oil and salt.
The oven-method was better I think but both were good. If you see any in your grocery store, I would recommend them! They are very easy to deal with, you can eat them raw if you want (I believe), and they taste yummy,
THE END

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I've only seen fresh chickpeas on the Food Network. I'm jealous now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a miracle! They had these at the grocery store! I sauteed them 'cause I was using the oven for salmon already. Though I just realized they bake at the same temp so I could have thrown them all in the oven together.

    But anyway, I was worried the kids would be suspicious of new veggies but they were totally into shelling their own beans. Heaven and Emmy asked for seconds! If we ever get them again I'll definitely pick some up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And by "we" I meant our grocery store. Our local Harmons gets a lot of exotic fruits and veggies, but not consistently.

      Delete