Monday, October 17, 2011

Tomato and Sweet Potato Stew

Made a new recipe out of the crock pot cookbook that Akiko got me last year. It came out really well, so here it is, with only the minorest of modifications.

Assumes a 5-qt slow cooker. Makes enough for 2 people to eat for two or three days, or more people to eat for fewer days. YMMV.

Ingredients:
2 large or 3 small chicken breasts
2 large sweet potatoes
2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes
1 carrot
1 parsnip
1 28-oz can whole stewed tomatoes
1 tspn salt
1 tspn paprika
1 tspn celery seeds
1/2 tspn black pepper
1/8 tspn ground cinnamon
1/8 tspn ground nutmeg
1 cup chicken broth
basil to taste

1. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and put in the crock pot.

2. Peel the potatoes and sweet potatoes and cut into large chunks. Put in crock pot.

3. Peel carrot and parsnip and cut into smaller chunks than the potatoes. Put in crock pot.

4. Add the tomatoes with liquid.

5. Add spices EXCEPT basil.

6. Add chicken broth and stir.

7. Cook on high for 5 hours.

8. Serve. Sprinkle basil on to taste.

Couldn't be easier to make, and the result was heavenly. The sweetness of the sweet potatoes and the parsnip seep into the broth and blend perfectly with the heat of the paprika and the aromatic flavor of the celery seeds, and the cinnamon and nutmeg supply a nice richness. The basil adds the perfect finishing touch. (I used dried from a bottle. The recipe calls for fresh, but I have a feeling that might overpower it.)

It's edible after 4 hours, but the extra hour made the veggies nice and tender.

3 comments:

  1. P.S. Is anybody still reading this? It kind of ground to a halt over the summer, but I'd love to get it started again if anybody else is still interested. I still use all of your recipes as a resource...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still read. I always mean to post, but we haven't done anything new worth sharing in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to Glynne's tagging his latest post to Facebook, I saw new posts! The only other blog I follow always tags them to Facebook, so I must admit, I forget to look here! :(

    ReplyDelete