Sunday, September 5, 2010

Garam Masala Green Beans

This is one of my go-to recipes, especially good when I feel like eating real food without putting a lot of effort into it:

1 or 2 Tbs vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp brown mustard seeds
3/4 lb green beans trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
3/4 tsp salt
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice

1. Heat a large pan on medium-low. Add everything EXCEPT the lemon juice and add 1/4 cup of water. Cover and simmer 5 minutes, until beans are just getting tender.
2. Uncover pan and raise heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or so until liquid evaporates. Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice, and serve.

You can use this by itself as a side dish, but if you put it on rice it makes a decent dinner for two people. And it's totally not spicy. Plus, if you like bigger veggies or don't want to chop you can just trim the green beans and cut them in half.

2 comments:

  1. I tried this recipe this evening, and it's awesome. I ended up throwing a couple of other veggies in it, since we had things we needed to use up and I wanted to make a meal out of it anyway. Worked great. What an awesome recipe - I love the intense lemoniness.

    And hey: I think this was the first time I've ever successfully used garam masala in a recipe. Am I a true Walley now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why yes, I believe that does make you a true Walley now. Well done!

    I'm glad you enjoyed it. We've made it for other people before and they've liked it. It's one of those recipes that is so easy you almost feel bad that people are impressed by it.

    ReplyDelete